Read the "Scientific Explanation" blog post and answer the following questions in your science notebook. Write the questions AND answer in complete sentences.
1. Why do scientists use the scientific method?
2. What is a scientific explanation according to this article? Cite your evidence.
3. How is the "reasoning" in a scientific explanation related to the claim and evidence? Explain.
4. According to this blog post, a claim is a conclusion that attempts to answer/address a testable scientific question. What is another way to define claim?
5. According to this blog post, evidence is appropriate and sufficient data from an experiment, other scientists' experiments, reading material, and/or other observations that support the claim. What is another way to define evidence?
6. Were we able to gather enough evidence through our Skittles experiment to support a claim that a particular color is the most common in a 2.17 oz bag of "Original Fruit" Skittles? Explain.
7. Using the scientific method does not always provide the necessary evidence to support the claim (hypothesis) of the scientist. What do you think a scientist should do in the case that the evidence does not support the claim (hypothesis)? Explain what you think should be the next steps for the scientist.
Due: Monday, October 21, 2013.